GAY AND LESBIAN (LGBT) LEGAL ISSUES
Experience MattersOur LGBT law clients work with us because of our strong history and experience working with the Atlanta LGBT community. Jeff Cleghorn leads the LGBT legal practice at Kitchens New Cleghorn, LLC and has been honored to receive the Human Rights Campaign’s Atlanta 2011 Dan Bradley Humanitarian Award. Jeff also served in the military and is a Former Army Major.
ATLANTA ATTORNEY FOR GAY AND LESBIAN ISSUES
Atlanta Attorney Jeff Cleghorn has made it a mission in his legal career to support the rights and defend the issues unique to the LGBT community. From his stance on ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell’ and DOMA to local issues that affect Atlanta LGBT couples and individuals, Mr. Cleghorn’s support and passion for LGBT-related topics have been widely acknowledged. In 2011 the Atlanta Chapter of the Human Rights Campaign recognized Mr. Cleghorn’s efforts by awarding him the Dan Bradley Humanitarian Award, awarded yearly to an individual or organization that demonstrates a tradition of service and activism to the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender community.
Attorney Jeff Cleghorn’s advocacy for Atlanta’s gay & lesbian community coupled with his career in Litigation and Family Law makes him well suited to resolve issues affecting gay and lesbian individuals. From Domestic Partnership Agreements to Adoptions, Child Custody Disputes to Gay Divorces, Jeff Cleghorn offers the knowledge and perspective that only someone with his background and experience can provide.
GAY & LESBIAN LAW FIRM in ATLANTA, GEORGIA
As a law firm thoroughly committed to Atlanta’s gay community, Kitchens New Cleghorn, LLC is uniquely knowledgeable of Georgia LGBT legal issues. Having spent years working in the field, Jeff Cleghorn and his team understand that gay and lesbian individuals and couples – and their families – have special legal needs. We routinely provide services in several areas of LGBT family law, including:
- Domestic Partnership Agreements: Our firm expertly drafts the necessary legal paperwork to create binding Georgia Domestic Partnerships. We will consult with you and your partner, draft your agreement according to your wishes, and help protect your rights as a couple.
- Adoptions: Our law firm assists same-sex couples, as well as single individuals, step-parents, and alternative family units, with legal guidance throughout the adoption process in Georgia. We have successfully helped countless LGBT individuals and couples adopt in Georgia.
- Domestic Partnership Dissolutions: When one or both partners in a Georgia domestic partnership decide to separate, it’s important to have a trusted legal advisor on your side to ensure that your interests are protected. We routinely work with same-sex divorcing couples in Georgia and can help you throughout this difficult process.
- Divorce: Our law firm’s domestic relations litigation practice has long included representation of gay or lesbian spouses in an opposite-sex divorce. An early life decision to marry an opposite-sex partner can create challenges for those whose coming-out journey does not mature until later. Jeff Cleghorn has assisted gay and lesbian Georgians, throughout the state, with divorce. Given the Georgia legal system’s history of being generally inhospitable to gays in divorce proceedings, it is important for gay and lesbians to have an experienced and trusted advisor while navigating the difficult process of divorce.
- Child Custody Disputes: We help our clients resolve custody disputes to protect the best interests of their children. We also provide legal services for child support issues. All too often in Georgia, gay parents are not treated fairly in the court system, and we strongly recommend that you work with a law firm experienced in these matters to best protect your interests.
- Wills, Trusts, and Estate Planning: Our firm guides clients through the process of establishing legal wills, trusts, and other aspects of estate planning. We help ensure that a client’s wishes are followed in terms of how assets are to be divided. We are especially sensitive to the needs of LGBT individuals who are estranged from family members, in which case creating a will and other vital documentation is essential.
- Powers of Attorney: Our attorneys can help you establish Powers of Attorney documentation that ensures that your partner, or individual of choice, will be able to make decisions on your behalf if you become sick or incapacitated.
- Transgender Legal Issues: We assist transgender individuals in navigating every aspect of Georgia law, including name changes and other legal documentation.
- General Litigation: Our firm handles a variety of other legal issues and practice areas, including general litigation and dispute resolution. We enjoy serving the needs of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender individuals and couples throughout Atlanta, GA.